Friday, February 5, 2010

Chemo Day 1 pt 2

We were checked in at 8:45. Picked up the anti nausea drugs from the hospital pharmacy. My appointment was for 9:30. I think I was hooked up by 10:00 and we were leaving the hospital at 1:00. Our future visits will be a bit longer because we'll have to go for blood testing before the chemo and check in with Dr Higgins before the treatment begins. (I always think of the Carol Brunette show and that skit with the secretary and "Mr. H-wiggins!")


Piece of cake, man! The IV is irritating but that's just because it's jammed in through my skin and into a vein. They gave me 3 meds. One red one was injected into the IV tube. It made my pee pink. The next one was a small clear substance injected into the IV tube and the last came in it's own cute little IV bag. The main IV was just saline to get everything flushing right away.

So far, no side effects but I have several anti-nausea meds that I'm supposed to take on a regular basis to prevent that. And I have to take in a lot of fluid. I've had 1.5 glasses of water, 2 servings of soup, 1 coffee at home and another big Timmies at the hospital.

The IV left a golf ball sized bruise on my forearm. Ok, so I wasn't really being a suck. It really was achy.

Due to the lumpectomy and the lymph nodes being removed on the left side they told me to always have procedures done on the right for now on, including needles, giving blood and blood pressure testing. I don't have optimal drainage to get things moving on the left side.

3 HOURS LATER:
It's now been about 3.5 hours since... I think I'm starting to go down hill. It might just be bloating. I had a grilled cheese and a bowl of soup... no, wait... thinking about what I ate just turned my stomach. I feel warm. I'm going to go lay down for a while. Maybe it's psychosomatic.

Don't worry - I'll be fine. Positive vibes!

No comments:

Post a Comment